About this recipe:
"I really enjoy veganising traditional recipes and this is no exception. I served this recipe to my non-vegan family members and they all agreed that there was absolutely no difference in flavours. They all agreed that it was rich, flavourful and creamy – just like a traditional carbonara. Because the cream sheese is rich and already has added salt to it, I didn't add salt to the sauce, but this is optional."
1 tub of Bute Island Garlic & Herb Creamy Sheese
300g Bute Island Vegan Smoked Chorizo
1 cup unsweetened soya milk
1 medium-size onion
1 tbsp olive oil
150g dried linguine
1 tsp olive oil
Salt to taste
- Begin by dicing the onion and chopping the vegan chorizo into small cubes.
- Boil water at medium heat with salt and olive oil; boil the pasta for 10-12 minutes (adding olive oil when boiling allows the pasta to not stick together).
- Bring a pan to a medium-size heat and pour the olive oil and lightly fry the onion until golden (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the chopped vegan chorizo and allow it to lightly fry for another 5-8 minutes.
- Add the soya milk, the cream sheese and black pepper, simmer on low heat, allowing all the ingredients and flavours to combine together and form the creamy carbonara sauce.
- Drain the pasta and pour it over the creamy sauce (adjust seasoning if needed).