Strong Cheddar style Sheese Stuffed Aubergine
About this recipe:
Prep. time 10 minutes | Cooking time 30 minutes | Preheat 200°C | Serves 4
- Cut aubergines in half-length way and score deeply so you cut almost the whole way through the flesh
- Coat the scored sides generously with sea salt and allow to stand about half an hour as this helps to draw out some of the moisture
- Finely dice onions and peppers and thinly slice the garlic gloves
- Dice tomatoes into approximately 1cm cubes
- Grate Sheese
- Heat 3 tablespoons of good quality olive oil in a pan over a medium heat, add onions and peppers and sweat for 2-3 minutes, until just softening. Once softened, add garlic (do not add garlic at the beginning as if overcooked will go bitter) and continue to sweat for a further 1-2 minutes. Now add tomatoes and sweat until they just being to soften (2-3 minutes) and remove from heat.
- When aubergines stood for half an hour, drizzle flesh with olive oil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 10 minutes. Once the flesh of the aubergines has softened slightly, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Gently scoop flesh out of aubergines, being careful not to break the skin. Chop resulting flesh roughly and add to the mixture in the pan.
- Once cool, mix in about 2/3rds of grated Sheese, mix well and divide evenly between aubergines. Top with breadcrumbs and bake in a preheated 200°C oven for another 10 minutes. Top with remaining Sheese and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with baby potatoes and salad.