Spicy Lentil Chickpea and Strong Cheddar style Burger
About this recipe:
Prep. time 25-30 minutes | Cooking time 10-15 minutes | Serves 4-6
- 227g block of Strong Cheddar style Sheese
- 250g lentils
- 2x400g tins of chickpeas
- 2 medium white onions
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons chilli flakes (1 teaspoon will provide a gentle heat, so add more if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Enough breadcrumbs to coat 4 burgers
- Soya milk
Product used in this recipe:
- Dice the onions into roughly 1cm cubes
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas
- Grate Sheese
- Cook lentils according to instructions on packet (being careful not to overcook), then drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Squeeze the water out of the lentils with your hands
- In a pan over a medium heat, heat two tablespoons of oil. Add the onions, ginger, chilli and cumin to the pan and sweat gently for 4-5 minutes until the onions have softened. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
- Once the onions are cool to the touch, put the lentils and chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and using your hands, crush the mixture so there are some whole chickpeas, and some crushed. Add the onions and Sheese and mix thoroughly.
- With floured hands, form the mix into the number of burgers you require (the mix will make 4-6 good size burgers). Dip each burger in soya milk, then into the breadcrumbs and place in a hot oiled pan over a low to medium heat and cook for 5-6 minutes each side, turning carefully, until golden brown.
- Serve in a fresh bun with relish, tomatoes and lettuce accompanied with some crispy fries.