Mushroom, Spinach, Cashew nut, Cranberry and Cheddar Sheese En-Croute
About this recipe:
Prep. time 10-15 minutes | Cooking time 30 minutes | Preheat 180°C | Serves 4
- Finely dice the onion and garlic
- Half or quarter the mushrooms depending on size (you want them quite chunky as they will cook down)
- Roughly chop the cashew nuts
- Wash and pat dry spinach
- Grate Sheese
- In a pan over a medium heat, heat two tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and garlic and sweat gently for a couple of minutes until soft, but not brown. Add mushrooms and sweat until almost cooked (do not cook all the way as they will continue to cook in the pastry in oven). Add spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes, until just wilted.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in cranberry sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Allow mixture to cool completely and add cashews and most of the Sheese (save a handful for later).
- While the mixture is cooling, preheat your oven to 180°C and lightly grease a baking tray with oil. Roll pastry to about 3mm thickness and divide evenly into 4 sections.
- Divide mixture evenly onto the four pastry squares, and working from the outside of the pastry, pull all the edges into the middle until they join and form to make a parcel and crimp tightly. Press down slightly to make a round parcel, place on baking tray seal side down.
- Brush with a little soya milk and top with the remaining Sheese and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables or a crisp salad. Mixture can be made the day before and kept in the fridge until required.