Mexican Cheesy Bean & Pasta Bake
About this recipe:
Prep. time 10 minutes | Cooking time 45 minutes | Pre-heat 200°C | Serves: 2 (can be easily doubled)
This recipe is a treat from Pamela, so why not check out her blog for lots more exciting vegan recipes!
1 teaspoon oil
1 large onion or leek, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, diced
Handful of button mushrooms, chopped
250g TVP (textured vegetable protein) or vegan mince
1 teaspoon yeast extract
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon mixed herbs
Pinch of chilli powder
Black pepper, to season
2 tablespoons tomato puree
4 tablespoons sweetcorn (canned, drained)
½ can black beans, drained
1 x can chopped tomatoes 125g pasta (can use gluten-free)
75g Grated Mozzarella Sheese
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion/leek and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the pepper and mushrooms and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the TVP or vegan mince, along with the yeast extract, herbs, spices, seasoning, tomato puree and 2 tablespoons of hot water. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the sweetcorn, black beans and chopped tomatoes. Stir well, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C and have a large ovenproof dish on hand.
- Drain the pasta and throw into the big pan, stirring well to coat. Pour into your dish and sprinkle over the Sheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until the Sheese has melted. Now serve between two plates and enjoy!