Cheesy Roasted Squash and Tomato Lasagne
About this recipe:
Prep. time 15 minutes | Cooking time 70 minutes | Pre-heat 200°C |Serves 2
This recipe is a treat from Pamela, so don't hesitate to go and have a look on her blog filled with wonderful Free-From recipes!
IngredientsFor the roasted squash:
- 1 large squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil (or chilli oil)
- Salt and black pepper For the tomato spinach sauce:
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt & black pepper
- Large handful baby spinach leaves For the white sauce:
- 500ml dairy-free milk
- 1 heaped tablespoons cornflour
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- Black pepper
- 150g Bute Island White Cheddar Sheese, grated
- 6-8 lasagne sheets
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C and drizzle the oil over a large baking tray. Throw in the squash chunks, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast for about 30-40 minutes until softened and golden.
- Meanwhile make the tomato sauce: Heat the oil in a pan and gently cook the garlic and onion for about 10 minutes to soften. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and seasoning and bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Throw the spinach into the tomato sauce and continue cooking for a couple more minutes to wilt slightly. Set aside. If the lasagne sheets need precooking, do that now then drain and keep in water.
- Now make the white sauce: Place the dairy-free milk, nutmeg, black pepper and bay leaf in a pan. Bring to the boil, then remove the bay leaf. Mix the cornflour in a jug with cold water to form a paste, then whisk into the milk while cooking on a medium heat, whisking continuously until it thickens. Stir in ¾ of the grated Sheese.
- Layer up: Spoon ½ the squash chunks into the bottom of a deep ovenproof dish. Spoon over half of the tomato spinach sauce then top with a single layer of lasagne sheets. Pour over ½ of the white sauce. Now repeat, ending with a layer of the white sauce. Sprinkle over remaining ¼ of sheese.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes at 180 degrees until golden and bubbling. Now serve!