Aubergine & Lentil Mozzarella Bake
About this recipe:
Prep. time 10 minutes | Cooking time 35 minutes | Pre-heat 200°C |Serves 2
This recipe is a treat from Pamela, so don't hesitate to go and have a look on her blog filled with wonderful Free-From recipes!
- 1 large aubergine, sliced 1/2 cm horizontally
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pepper (yellow, green or red), chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 x 400g carton passata
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 150g cooked puy lentils (from a can or pack)
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 slices Bute Island Mozzarella Slices, sliced into half/quarters
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Use 1 tablespoon of the oil to grease a large flat baking tray. Arrange the aubergine slices in a single layer and drizzle over another tablespoon oil and sprinkle over the black pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway, until tender.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add the onions, garlic and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes. Add in the herbs, spices and cherry tomatoes, stirring well to coat.
- Stir in the passata, tomato puree and puy lentils, bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the basil leaves and continue cooking for 5 more minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Spoon half the lentil sauce into the bottom of a deep ovenproof dish. Top with half of the aubergine slices to cover. Spoon over the remaining tomato sauce, cover with the rest of the aubergine slices then arrange the Mozzarella Slices on top.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until the ‘cheese’ has melted. Dish up and serve!